Technic Ethereal Server: Community Mapgentest

Hey partypeople,

some of you maybe already read something about an upcoming world we will start soon :tm:.
It is currently called Technic Ethereal Server and is going to be open for everybody.
This means everyone will get interact by default, keep this in mind!

I will start a testserver at illuna.rocks:30003 now so you can review the current worldgen.

Please give us suggestions and opinions about how we can / should improve the mapgen decoration.
Note, that this world is not meant for getting your very first home there or something, it is only for this review online.

We added many new plants and trees - the plants (textures) are coming from a Minecraft plugin called “Plant Mega Pack”.
One of many infosites is http://mod-minecraft.net/plant-mega-pack-mod/.
You may notice that not everything from the plugin is included.
This has actually two reasons:

• It is a bunch of (time-) work to migrate those plants and optimize their spawning in the world
  • I am not sure if it is enough as it is right now (this is also one reason for this community review)
  • As you may have noticed, we got heavy lag issues the last weeks - this broke my motivation and workflow.

There are some special trees too. These are designed by @iska @noob101 and me.

However, you will have extra privs to explore this world and yes, you can save your homepoint but only to a pice of paper, somewhere to your computer or smartphone since the server will reset, only the worldgensettings itself will stay.
Means, you need to make sure to safe the coordinates to find back later.

Important Notes:

• If you fly too far with fast, you may blow the memory and kill the server!
  • Answers like this looks cool or i don’t like it are not helpful.
  • Do not touch our markers like:
  • The mapgen itself can receive some adjustments but the seed is fixed,
    this means, it generates by the same rules on reset

Kind regards and happy exploring!

I am very excited to see we are getting closer to launching this server. I think you know how much I love the changes made to this map gen. If there was any suggestion I could make, it would be that the biomes were larger. There are many biomes within close proximity to each other and it would be nice if each biome covered a larger area.

and when will it be accessible ? this looks exciting !

@ClaudiusMinimus i can do that - but i would need to reset the testworld at some point and it wouldn’t look the same.
You will loose your markers then (but the area is not the same anymore anyway in that case)… .

@grand soon :tm:
Edit: you mean the testworld? It is open since the post is there.

OK, let me gather my ideas, thoughts and opinion then, in the order they came to my mind:

1. Thorn bushes grow too thick. It’s just too many of them. Addition: Not all the time, but often.
  2. The grey biome Willow trees grow on need one or two more plants.
  3. I absolutely love the mesa (redwood tree) biome and its dense plant cover.
  4. default:dirt_with_dry_grass is still too extreme yellow imo. Nice structure, but the color hurts the eye. Addition: I think the yellow color on the side of that node actually looks much better, maybe we can tke that over to the top as well?
  5. same goes for ethereal:green_dirt, which replaces default:dirt_with_grass: The green does not go well with the plants that grow on it, nor with the surrounding biomes, like Prairie. Sorry, @coeseta!
  6. Maybe the groove biome (banana trees) could also get another flower or two?
  7. I like the bamboo biome, also the jungle looks good imo.
  8. Could the healing tree leaves maybe get a different color? Sorry, but I never really liked them. I would suggest the bright yellow “John Smith” texture for that: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=5383
  9. Found a glacier, didn’t look bad either!
  10. Many of the leaves’ textures flicker for me :frowning:

OK, that’s it for today. CU n101

Edit from Milan: green_dirt = default:dirt_with_grass

Thanks for your review. :slight_smile:

I guess the requiered setting was mipmap, try to play around with you graphics settings a bit. :wink:

Hi Milan,
To start with a great map, I love the variety of grass and flowers and the new plants are great. There could be a more types of trees and I would love to see the Redwoods much bigger (at least 5x bigger if not more).

Please would you add the floating Islands as advertised last year (Integral/Skylands.... something new is coming soon) Please, Please, Please…

The large mushroom plants in my opinion should be in large underground caves between -100 and -1000 rather than on the ground, it just doesn’t seem to fit in to the overall feel of the map, above ground, in my opinion

But all in all a great looking place I can not wait to build here especially if you add integral-skylands, hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

There are many types of new trees. There are 16 different trees, plus giant mushrooms, giant ferns(?), and bamboo. Here are some screenshots of the (incomplete) craft guide library that will be in the technicworld spawn castle. In the library I have all the samples of trees on display, though as you can see from the images, I have not labeled anything yet.

And

Please would you add the floating Islands as advertised last year (Integral/Skylands.... something new is coming soon) Please, Please, Please…

Are you asking specifically for the Integral mod?

The large mushroom plants in my opinion should be in large underground caves between -100 and -1000 rather than on the ground, it just doesn’t seem to fit in to the overall feel of the map, above ground, in my opinion

I love this idea, because I have never been a big fan of giant mushrooms, but there are some who like them a lot.

But all in all a great looking place I can not wait to build here especially if you add integral-skylands, hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

:smiley:

Thanks for the feedback.
The mapgen settings are completly reworked now.
Please review them again.

Note, that i am not talking about biomesettings in this case but only the mapgen intself. :slight_smile: