Shall we use an own page for creating accounts?

Hi there i am currently thinking about connecting our services to using ldap.
This would offer you to use one account of all webservices.

Unfortunatelly this is not possible to use this forum as the “startpoint”.
I am thinking about add an create account button to the website which redirects to a google like signup page.

This forum will only support logins, then.

Your account would grant you access to:

• this forum
  • our mediagoblin
  • our upcoming board for todo stuff
  • our cloud

Maybe i connect also a few tchncs.de services.

But why do i create a public thread for this?
I don’t know how fast i would be able to allow alternate sign up methods like twitter, google and what not like this forum does.
On the user side it might be a problem since we also have young people on board who may run in trouble on a “basic” sign up side. This thing is hard to estimate for me and i looking forward for your opinions.

The mentioned ldap server is nearly ready but let’s wait what you folks think about :slight_smile:

Note: how awesome this feature will be realised and how fast every service is connected and, and, … ist not yet clear.

Great idea!

will good :slight_smile:

Just a few questions:

• How much info would we need to give?
  • How much of the information would be made available?
  • Who would have access to the info, or would it be purely for server authentication?

@snowmann said:
Just a few questions:

• How much info would we need to give?
  • How much of the information would be made available?
  • Who would have access to the info, or would it be purely for server authentication?

Not more info then yet. People sign up to a serversoftware which handles the user accounts, which will stays not much more then username, password, email adress. Everything is and will ever be on our server(s). The main difference is that the forum for example connects to the ldap server for user authentication instead using it’s own database. I am currently the only person with access to our machine(s).

sounds legit :slight_smile: